Monday, July 8, 2013

School Girl Socks



When I (Major Moma) bought the sock yarn for the socks I posted about HERE, I had my eldest daughter in tow.  Since I was in a sock yarn buying mood, I let her pick out some sock yarn too.  She picked a very pretty variegated yarn with green, blue, and brown.  It is by Sockina Color.  It is 75% wool and 25% nylon which makes it one hundred percent washable!  No shrunken wool socks for us.

crochet child socks

I used a pattern from the September/October 2010 issue of Crochet Today! magazine.  My friend lent me this magazine and later let me just keep it as I left Germany with unfinished socks. (Thanks Gin!)   

crocheting socks on a plane
Socks on a plane
Abi really likes knee socks so I automatically gravitated to the School Girl Socks pattern.  However, they were sized for a 6 year old and not long, skinny footed 9 year old.  So, I had to adjust the pattern to fit her feet.  
 
crochet girls socks


This was way easier than it sounds.  I am not an expert hooker (yes, that is a technical term :D ) and yet I could easily make the necessary adjustments.  First, I lengthened the initial chain so that it fit across my kid’s toes the way it did on the girl in the picture.  Then, I followed the instructions with my longer/wider sock.  When I got to the heel, I made the foundation single crochet chain long enough to stretch around my daughter’s foot.  Basically, from there I just had her try on the sock every couple inches to make sure it fit.  There were some points when I had to unravel and adjust, but it was easier to fit her than I anticipated.  Along the way, I wrote down my adjustments so that the second sock would not require fittings.


crochet child socks

I stopped the sock at the point she requested, so it does not go all the way up to her knees.  She is quite happy with them and they should be very comfy and warm come this fall.  The last stitch used is actually an alternating of back post double crochet and front post double crochet.  This created a ribbing and a really nice finished edge.  I highly recommend learning this stitch if you don’t know it already.

crochet front/back post stitch

Do your kids like knee socks?  Have you tried the front/back post stitches?



If you are interested in hearing more from us, there are a couple ways for you to keep in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like everyone, we love comments; mostly because it is not a conversation without you! So please, let us know what you think and what you are up to.

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips