Monday, December 3, 2012

Finished Wiggle Dress

As a winter project I (Major Moma), decided to work my way through the book Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing.  I have finished one skirt and now a dress.  My plan has been to make "wearable muslins" for each of these, and then buy wool fabric to do them really right. 

I finished the Wiggle Dress last weekend but did not get a chance to take pictures until I wore it to church this Sunday.  (previous posts on this dress are HERE and Here.) Yes, that is snow on the ground and yes I was COLD taking these pictures.  But, it had to be done. 

I love the way this dress fits!  It is super comfortable.  I used the size 8 pieces for the front and the size 6 piece for the back to accommodate my small shoulders and curvy front.  I have done this before, and it really worked well this time too.  The only other adjustments I made was to take in the hips about 1/2 inch at the side seams.  On my wool version, I will also shorten the skirt portion a bit by taking it up at the hip line about 1/2 inch.  I notice while wearing the dress, the curve of the dress was not exactly where my hip curves the most. 

But these are minor adjustments and I am so glad that it turned out so nice.

The highlight of this dress is the back!  It has a beautiful V-neckline and a kick-pleat at the skirt slit.  This was my second lapped zipper, and it looks better than the first, so I am moving in the right direction.

I am torn on what I want to make next from this book.  There are a couple blouses, but they do not have long sleeves and as you can see, that may not be practical for a couple of months.  Or, I could make another dress?  hmmm...

4 comments:

  1. First, you look like you were freezing in these photos...but beautiful none the less. Also, is it possible to adjust the blouses to have long sleeves? This way you can continue to work from the book but wear your creations in this frigid weather. :) You do such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful dress! The fit looks fantastic and the pictures are fun, though cold. :)

    ReplyDelete

Like everyone, we love comments; mostly because it is not a conversation without you! So please, let us know what you think and what you are up to.

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips