Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Liebster nomination!!!

One of the really fun things about sew alongs, is "meeting" other bloggers.  I (Major Moma) love seeing the personality of different bloggers come through in their creations.  For example, the pattern remix that is week one of every PRP always is interesting.  We all have the same starting point but come up with completely different things.  And in this "getting to know" each other process, we discover blogs that we normally would never know about.  And, things like this happen:  One of the lovely ladies, Sally at Daisy Chain Creations, that sew along at PRP nominated Without Directions for a Liebster award!


What is a Liebster Award?  "The Liebster Blog Award is an award given by bloggers to up and coming bloggers, most of whom have less than 200 followers (or have been blogging for less than 6 months). It is to show newer bloggers that they are appreciated, and to help spread the word about new blogs. It was created to promote appreciation and recognition among the blog world. Liebster translates to “dearest” (or favorite/best) in German. It is also known as the Love Blog Award."
It's been fun to get to know some bloggers better and a great way to pass on the love.
There are some rules though:
1. You must post 11 random things about yourself.
2.  Answer the 11 questions given by the nominator.
3.  Create 11 new questions for those you nominate.
4.  Choose 11 new blogs and link to them in your post.

She did specifically mention me, Major Moma, because I am the one that participates in PRP.  Though I am the most frequent poster in this 4-woman blog, I am certainly not the most interesting so we are going to share the lists of eleven thing/questions/blogs amongst us.

And like the question/answer post we did from Luvin' in the Mommyhood, we will color code the answers.

M
Major Moma
McH
Winocologist

Random Things:

  1. Major Moma's oldest kid and McH's youngest kid are the same age.  They are actually 4 months apart and McH wanted to name her child, if a girl, the same name that Major Moma wanted to name her unborn girl.  Luckily, McH's child turned out to be a boy and they did not have to go to blows to choose who got the name.
  2. When Major Moma was about 4 years old, someone asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up.  "I want to be a firewoman, policewoman, doctor, veterinarian, live on a farm, and have 13 kids."  Astounded by this list, the person asked, "If you are all those things, who will take care of the kids?"  Without batting an eyelash, Major Moma replied, "My husband."  So how did that work out?  Well, Major Moma is none of those professions and does not live on a farm, but she does work full time while her husband manages the household and is a stay-at-home-dad.
  3.  Major Moma has graduated from universities on both coasts.
  4. Winocologist has attended both mime and circus school
  5. McH has always wanted to visit Maine but has not yet made it there.
  6. M has 6 grandkids and 1 granddog.
  7. All of us sew, but we sew different types of things.
  8. M used to 'cruise the bay' on a cotton candy pink scooter with matching helmet.
  9. Winocologist is absolutely a city girl and has lived in cities on both coasts of the U.S.A., and the Midwest.
  10. Major Moma loves to run as long as no one is pressuring her to go faster.
  11. McH married her high school sweetheart.
  12. M is very involved in an amazing organization called Days for Girls.  You really must check it out.  Did you know there are girls all around the world who are unable to finish school because they do not have access to decent feminine hygiene products?

Questions asked of us:




1. What's your go to place when you are stumped and need a solution when it comes to sewing/crafting?

  • The book Vogue Sewing

  • Dude. Google.

  • Bed; I go to sleep thinking about it, and then wake up with the answer

·       I go for a walk.  There are a lot of crafty stores and great ideas all around where I live.

2. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

  • India.  I would love to go somewhere that is completely different than the U.S. and experience a non-western culture.  And why India then?  I have been attracted by the colors, sounds, and food that have eeked their way into US media.

  • Russia. While my hubby and I were stationed in Germany we always intended to go to Russia, but never got there. I think we would love the deep culture and strong people.

  • Africa, I went once and Africa is deep in my heart. 

  • Malaga, Spain.  I have been itching to run away there.  The history and mixing of cultures fascinates me… And lets not forget the SHERRY!


3. Who taught you how to sew and what do you wish you could ask them now?

  • My mother ... and I ask her questions all the time. Right M? 

  • My mommy. She bought me my first pair of good left handed scissors after I stabbed myself in the leg with her righties.  I don't ask her questions about sewing because she is too way crazy advanced for me and cares about things like corners meeting and I don't.

  • My mother, she was an amazing semester...I remember her making clothes out of hand-me-downs and my clothes never looked homemade. She started sewing with knits before it was popular, and taught me that a really good sewing machine is more important than a new refrigerator

  • Gramma taught me.  Mom never had the patience to teach me.


4. If you were able to pass on your love of sewing to someone, what is the first thing you would tell them/teach them?

  • Don't be afraid of mistakes and enjoy the process. 

  • Only God is perfect so chill the heck out about it.  Oh, and color choices make your project look either old and dumb or modern and amazing. Pick wisely young padawan.

  • God may be the only one is perfect, but doing the fundamentals will make all your work better. If your fundamentals are in place then people are free to enjoy your work and message.

  • DON’T START QUILTING.  You don’t want to end up with a sewing room like M.

5. What is the must have by your sewing machine/craft table when it comes to snacks?

  • Something not messy. 

  • Coffee.  Is that a snack?

  • Love a cup of tea, other than that no food in sewing room.

  • Wine.

6. What is one time period you wished you lived in, if only for the clothes they wore?

  • Well, I keep thinking of the antebellum time (1860s) with all their hoop skirts and layers of fancy fabrics.  But really, only a select few in the upper class really got to dress like that.  So for us ordinary folks, I would like the 1940s.

  • I am a huge fan of Victorian romances, so 1860-1890's more specifically 1880's fitted bodices with bustles.

  • 60's mod, I never had the body or money to wear it when I lived it...

·       If I were upper class in France, it would be the late 18th century.  I love the colors and patterns.  Everything was so extravagant.  However, I don’t think I would want to be a French aristocrat in the late 1700’s.  What a waist of good hats!

7. Favorite thing to do/favorite hobby, non-sewing related?

  • Running 

  • Writing.

  • Cooking

  • Eating

8. If you could indulge yourself in something sewing related, what would it be and why?

  • Sew with fine luxurious fabrics.  I love the feel of silks and fine wools on my hands as I sew.

  • A sewing table. All my crafting stuff is in the space under the stairs. I am like the Harry Potter of sewing.

  • Oh I need a Babylock serger that I can thread easily...my current serger hurts my eyes

  • Sewing lessons… I’m not as good as the rest of them.

9. Milk or Dark Chocolate? Why?

  • Dark.  Because... it is better

  • Dark. Because it isn't tainted with milk fat.

  • I don't discriminate between chocolates; all are good.

  • Dark.  Because it fixes the craving without having to eat the entire bag.

10. What is the funniest thing you have seen or heard lately?

  • My son saying "Take that!" to his sister after passing gas and her replying, "I'm not taking it!" in a singsong voice.  I know, high-class humor.

  • My nine year old on the way home something "Every time I Google image something I always get men. Like yesterday I Google imaged "banana" and I got a bunch of pictures of men. Except when I Googled ancient German artifacts and I got bologna" Yes we checked his parental settings on the computer...

  • I have the funniest husband, he jokes about everything all the time.

·       This is weird… I’m constantly laughing in life, but I can’t think of a single funny thing that has happened.

11. Sunrise or sunset?  What is your favorite time of day?

  • Sunrise:  I love new beginnings. 

  • Sunrise. I am a morning-ish person.


  • Sunset:  If I’m awake for a sunrise I have been awake for way too long.

11 Questions for our nominees:

  1. What is something challenging you did that you felt really good after doing it?
  2. Other than the one you live in, what is your favorite U.S. state?
  3. What book are you currently reading?
  4. Are you a 'city mouse' or 'country mouse'?
  5. Coffee or tea?
  6. When fighting with your significant other, do you walk away or want to talk it out?
  7. What was the best thing you have ever eaten? Where?
  8. Name one cause you really care about.
  9. What is your favorite outside activity?
  10. Where was your best family vacation?
  11. Do you use your "good" dishes often or only pull them out when the occasion is really special?

Great blogs we read (our nominees for the Liebster):

The rules say we need to list 11 small blogs that we love.  Unfortunately, we don't have that many.  Not that we are too picky or our standards are unreasonable.  It is just the combination of two factors:

1) We are busy and have to limit our time on the Internet browsing, so limits are made so we don't lose hours of productiveness.

2) Some how the blogs we have looked at are big.  I guess all of you like the same ones as us.  So, if you are reading this and you have a "small blog", feel free to leave a link to your blog in the comments so everyone can check you out too.

Rachelizms -  A blog about writing and living

Humble Brewer - A blog about a pastor who enjoys brewing beer in his garage ... think modern day monk. :D

CathGrace - A sewing/crafting and family blog.

clouds full of rain - A sewing blog I just recently came across and am so impressed with right now.

Nitty Gritty Love - Michelle, the blogger at this site used to be at the blog My Kite Dream and recently switched over to a new format.  Her posts are always so funny but also very real.

6 comments:

  1. Thank You so much for the nomination! I'm not 100% sure what I do next? Post the questions etc. on my blog? or answer the questions here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you do is: 1) copy the rules at the top and anounce to the world that we like you, 2) share 11 random things about you, 3) answer the questions we came up with, and 4) nominate the bloggers you love. It is kind of like a chain letter but better.

      Delete
    2. I know you are super busy with your contests, so there is no time requirement (that I know of).

      Delete
  2. Thanks for thinking of me Major Moma! This is such a cool award, and a great way for people to get to know a little bit more about others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, you guys are too funny. I love the "Harry Potter of Sewing" and so many of your answers. It was fun to get to know you better. As for the places you would visit, my husband and I had a good laugh, because he's been to all of those places and wouldn't be able to chose just one of those. He lived in Germany for 2 years and traveled to India and Africa to study tropical diseases and he loves each for different reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for nominating us. We had fun putting together the answers.

      Delete

Like everyone, we love comments; mostly because it is not a conversation without you! So please, let us know what you think and what you are up to.

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips