Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pattern review: Pristine Swing Dress


I recently tested a pattern for Mellisa of Melly Sews.  She has released two new pattern collections, one for boys and one for girls, using the name Blank Slates.  Her idea is that it would be nice to have a pattern collection that is made up of great basics that can be easily altered and/or embellished for multiple different looks.  I especially like her boy collection as it is hard to find great boy patterns.  I have used the pants pattern and already have a plan to do so again (probably this weekend).

But the pattern I tested this time was for the Pristine Swing Dress.  (It has a tunic length cut line too.)  It is a fun little pattern because it combines woven fabric and knit fabric. The main body is knit, and the accents are woven. 

front


front detail
I used a knit that I had  bought cheaply years ago that was still sitting in my stash.  And there is a good reason for it still being around.  It is not a nice fabric; there is a reason I got it for next to nothing.  But since this was a pattern test, I thought it would be a good use of the fabric because if I did not like it, I would not feel like I wasted it.
For the contrast, I used some scraps from an outfit I made this summer (here).  I had picked up some matching ribbon when bought the fabric, but when I made the outfit, I opted for sparkly green rick rack instead.  So, when I saw that the dress turned out cute, I decided to use the ribbon on the hem to add to the cuteness. 
The back of the dress has a small placket closure with a single button.  I used  a large red heart button I had lying around.
back
 OK.  Time for the pattern review.  This pattern is bought online and you down load a PDF file and then print the pieces on regular 8.5x11 sheets of paper.  You then tape the paper together as explained in the instructions and cut your pieces along the size line you desire.  I like this sort of pattern shopping because it is instant and if I want a new size later, I just reprint, tape, and cut the new size.

Melissa includes very good instructions with lots of pictures that show each step along the way.  She is a former teacher and it shows in the clarity of each step.  If you are new to sewing, this pattern would be great for you.  You would learn skills like gathering, yoked bodices, and creating a simple placket.
The sleeves are sewn to the shoulders and then you sew down from the wrist to the hem in one long seam.  This is an easy technique that I use for all my t-shirts and makes for simple construction.  (no dealing with set-in sleeves)  The pockets are lined and trimmed with your woven contrast fabric and were my model's favorite part of the dress.

So, I completely recommend the purchase of this pattern.

For you ladies out there, if you like this style, she has a pattern for a woman's t-shirt with the same neckline.  I have made that one too and it turned out great.  I think it would be a fun opportunity for some color blocking that is so popular right now.

1 comment:

Like everyone, we love comments; mostly because it is not a conversation without you! So please, let us know what you think and what you are up to.

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips