Monday, August 13, 2012

perseverance vs. pig-headedness

Where does perseverance end and pig-headedness begin?



practice muslin

first pair
I have been working on making Abi custom pants and after one muslin and 3 pants done, I was completely frustrated.  They had improved, but there was a serious fitting issue and I could not figure out how to fix it.

second pair


third pair




I had read my Vogue sewing book.
I called my mom.
I asked others.

Then I tossed out the pattern and drafted a new one.

It was even worse...  After several fittings and adjustments, the last pair was impossible to wear.

I was completely deflated but unwilling to give up.



It reminded my mother of a time not too long ago when I was working on my thesis.  It took 7 painful and frustrating drafts to finish it.  And I did not finish well.  When I defended my thesis my advisor brought all those separate drafts (these were not the "just needs some proof reading" type drafts) and stacked them up on the desk.  And he then tells the crowd about my "tenacity".  I am still not sure if he was mocking me.

All this to say, I am seeing a pattern.  Maybe my perseverance has crossed over from virtue to vice.

In my discouragement, I did something I should have done 2 pants ago.  I contacted the help desk of my pattern software.  They immediately responded to my email with lots of helpful advise.  I made a sloper (generic fitting pants) and emailed her the picture.  She was pleased with the results, as was I.


fitting sloper



So there is now hope.  I just need to keep stubbornly pushing my way through "the quest for the perfect pants".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like everyone, we love comments; mostly because it is not a conversation without you! So please, let us know what you think and what you are up to.

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips