Friday, July 13, 2012

Trapped in History

There are so many stories I want to share about our trip, but not all of them are going to be interesting to the world at large.  But, I will in the next couple weeks share some highlights from the trip and some tips about family travel in France.

I also hope to return to my sewing room with fresh vigor and have new creations to share.

One of the funny stories from the trip is when the baby trapped my husband, son, and I in the room that the Germans signed the unconditional surrender ending WWII.

This is actually a small room in an out of the way building in Reims, France.  It is still covered in maps and charts and contains the table on which the official surrender was signed.  There I was, being moved by the gravity of events which occurred in that room, tears coming to my eyes, and SLAM.  The door was shut.  By my one-year-old child.
The husband went to open it, but could not.  It was locked.  Eli almost started to panic; "Dad, this is not funny."  But never fear, Abi was on the other side.  We called out to her and sent her for help.  She told Isa, the baby, to stay there and she ran for her grandpa who in turn called for the museum staff, who spoke no English.  So a quick mime routine sent her running upstairs with the key. 

It all took only about 5-10 minutes and we were out of the room.  Here is a picture of M, the French lady, and the culprit of my short imprisonment.

Needless to say the mood of somber reflection was replaced by giggling about the events of the day.  I do recommend that if you are in Reims, go to the museum, but do not shut the door to the map room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like everyone, we love comments; mostly because it is not a conversation without you! So please, let us know what you think and what you are up to.

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips