Friday, April 20, 2012

Springy Sports Wear

"It is so pretty!" said Abi.

Ahhhh, the sweet sound of success.  It is week two of Project Run and Play and I (Major Moma) have been frantically sewing in order to have something for the Sew Along by Friday.  This week, the theme is "Sports Wear"  which, in American fashion, is typified by separates that can go from day to evening with great versatility.  Well, my eight year old does not yet work and does not have a lot of evening engagements, so I interpret sports wear for children as clothes that can be dressy enough for church, but easy to play in. 



I made three pieces ... a peasant top, burmuda shorts, and a quilted vest.  (The pants are a modification of an old Lizzie McGuire/Simplicity pattern, the shirt is adapted from Create Kids Couture's Marilyn's Slim Fit Peasant Dress, and the vest is my own.)  The spring and summer here can be chilly at times, even on sunny days.  So these clothes will work well as the weather changes day to day or hour to hour.



Part of the versatility of these clothes is the fabric I chose.  I uses a double faced crepe back satin made of polyester. (eeww, I know but the fabric really does feel nice)  On the pants I used the dull side with the shiny side as an accent for pockets and waistband.   For the shirt, I used the shiny side.  The vest is made of a double sided pre-quilted fabric.  It is perfect for reversible outerwear.  I used french seams so it looks good on both sides and just used a colorful binding on the outer edges to give it a finished look. 

So now Abi can wear the pants and shirt either together or separate and she can reverse the vest to suit her mood.  And the fabric is wash and wear ... no ironing or special care! That seems like good sports wear to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like everyone, we love comments; mostly because it is not a conversation without you! So please, let us know what you think and what you are up to.

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips