Monday, September 21, 2015

Making of Frozen

Pin It I always loved to play dress up.  My mom would make our Halloween costumes and she made them so well.  She usually designed them such that they were PJs for the rest of the winter or dress up for years to come.  That was probably the best part; her quality was such that they were good for more than one night.

My love of wearing costumes has not faded as I got older but the opportunities sure have.  So  last winter when my friend suggested we go to the Miner and Trapper Ball (a costume ball associated with Fur Rondy in Anchorage) and dress up, I quickly agreed. We decided on joining the fad and dress as the Frozen sisters.

I wanted to do it right, so I used the Disney sanctioned Simplicity Patterns.

source
Simplicity 1210
Anna bodice

Simplicity 1210
appliques ... there were a TON

Simplicity 1210
Anna Skirt

Simplicity 1210
Elsa bodice

Elsa via Simplicity 1210

Anna via Simplicity 1210

Since we were going to drag our reluctant men in costume, we let them choose whatever Frozen character they wanted and we laughed at their choices.  Jake decided to be the villain, Hans and Jeremiah said he wanted to be the "sauna guy".

For Hans, I used the Uncle Sam costume in McCalls 6143.  It worked perfect!  The button holes are from Urban Threads and added a perfect touch to make it more of a military look.


McCall's 6143

Hans via McCalls 6143

For Oaken, aka the Sauna Guy, I simply used a raglan pajama top I had on hand (Simplicity 1605).

Oaken from Frozen

So there were the step by step photos of putting it all together.

a Frozen DIY wardrobe
all of it together ready to go

It took a lot of time but I made all of our outfits minus the men's pants!  And I almost forgot to tell you, we won our division!!!

Miner and Trapper Ball



If you are interested in hearing more from us, there are a couple ways for you to keep in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like everyone, we love comments; mostly because it is not a conversation without you! So please, let us know what you think and what you are up to.

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips