Saturday, January 12, 2013

You are a pirate. Describe your perfect day.

I, Mc H,  have needed a bit of inspiration lately. I received my 12th rejection letter a couple weeks before Christmas. I am putting aside querying my book, until I repair my ego. Or improve my writing. Or something.

Recently I was in Seattle for a book signing. No, not for me. One of my favorite authors, Jayne Ann Krentz was doing a book signing at the Seattle Mystery Bookstore. I like to think of myself as a confident, bold woman but I stood there stuttering like a total spaz that day. Winocologist was with me and hurt her face rolling her eyes at my nervous nelly routine. 

My super sister, Winocologist lives in the Seattle area and we spent the day together walking, talking, eating sushi and window shopping. Until we found the coolest book ever. It is called 642 Things to Write About. It was compiled by the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto.

What caught my eye was the back snippet. I was looking at fun mugs and kitchy things when some blue writing caught my eye. “You are a pirate. Describe your perfect day.” I stood there for a second and then said out loud to Wino, who was across the store.

“Hey, you are a pirate. Describe your perfect day.” She came back from sniffing a candle and together we looked through this book. We both bought the book a moment later.

I  like to think of myself as a writer, along with a gamut of other things. I thrive on writing prompts and challenges, they push and pull me. The generalized “tell us a story” gives me hives. Give me a word count goal and question and I am your woman.

I have been flipping through the book for the last couple of days and today I am going to start a writing challenge. On this blog I will post every week. For me, my ego, my confidence, my motivation, I will write a question everyday. I encourage you to join me in the weekly prompt. Or pick up this awesome book.

The Rules:

1. One prompt a day.

2. Fast fiction. 100-500 words

3. Write first, then edit. No editing while writing the first draft.
FIrst Question is going to be (of course)... You are a Pirate.  Descrbe your perfect day.

The hull of the ship was almost full of booty. Almost. Bill the Tooth saw the Spanish vessel on the horizon and we figure it was damn good luck we that there was just enough room for a final haul and we were less than a day from our port.
They saw us coming and took up positions. Our cannons were more deadly, Our ropes faster. Our bullets better aimed. I gripped my dagger tight in my teeth as I scaled the ropes over to board. We made quick work of the soldiers. Blood was speckled on my cheek and none of it was mine as I made my way to the storage of the ship. Bill helped me haul a chest or two over the boarding planks as the cap’n dealt with the Spanish crew.

“Not e’vn noon, R.” Bill’s tooth was wagglin as he grunted pulling another sack of loot from the boarded ship.
“I knows. We gots plenty a time to make it to port and have some pints.”
We both smiled at the thought of a big bowl of stew, some good ale, and a warm bed.
Damn good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like everyone, we love comments; mostly because it is not a conversation without you! So please, let us know what you think and what you are up to.

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips