Saturday, January 19, 2013

Kind Words

Are you someone who comments on people’s blogs?  Do you leave wonderful compliments or share your ideas?  Do you engage in a dialog with each post you read?
I am not.
I am not a person who spontaneously comments on people’s blogs.  I actually started reading blogs late in the game and my mom would read something interesting, or something she thought I would find interesting and then send me the link.  I would read the blog post, think thoughts in my head about the post, and then leave the web page.
I (Major Moma) did not comment.
Even if the post was provocative or displayed something beautiful, rarely would I comment.  Then, I started blogging.  I was happily posting away and sharing my PRP outfits and something amazing happened.  Someone commented on my blog!  Oh the thrilling emotions that ignited.  Someone, a stranger, liked my sewing!  Someone took the time to say something kind to me.  I received a few more comments over the weeks, each one giving me a warm feeling in my heart.
But I did not comment on other people’s blogs.  Because I am not a person that comments.  That is just not who I am.   Really?  OK.  So I am not a person who comments.  But is that who I want to be?  Do I want to be someone who enjoys compliments but does not give them?
I finally decided that I wanted to be someone that gives joy to others.  So now I comment.  I think of something kind to say.  With all the violence and tragedy in this world, we need to do this more often.  I need to do this more often.

And I don't just mean comment on blogs.  I need to be more purposeful in using my words to bring joy to others.  I want to be the person who speaks words that are helpful to people.  I don't want to be someone that tears others down or speaks proudly of my own great deeds.  But instead one that points out to others where they are doing things well. 
If you are someone that does not complement easily, either on the internet or in regular life, think about joining me in trying harder.  Try to be the person who says the kind thing, even when it does not come naturally.

Note: As part of my New Years resolution, I am trying to gain more control of the things I say. And in order to increase my accountability, I am blogging about it. I am not trying to be preachy ... just sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like everyone, we love comments; mostly because it is not a conversation without you! So please, let us know what you think and what you are up to.

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips