Friday, May 27, 2016

DIY hats for Disney

Pin It If you follow me on social media, you know that our family is counting down the days until we go to Disney World.  Last time we went, we only had two kids and the second was only 18 months.  So, for two out of three, it will be a first time type experience.

I had seen all over Pinterest different custom and homemade Disney ears and thought that would be a fun project for my oldest and I to do together.  She is twelve, so some days are a bit strained and I am always looking for ways for us to have a close moment.

She is quite the artist, she she sketched out what we would do for various characters.  I am a firm believer that people should wear hats to protect their faces from the sun, so we went to the Dollar Store and picked up some ball caps.  Also at the Dollar Store we bought craft foam.

Those were the only two purchases for this project and everything else we used were scraps or notions I had on hand.  That forced us to be especially creative.

I had a few bumps in the road.  The first hat we worked on, Fear from Inside out seemed to be a miserable failure and I wondered if that was going to be the case for all of them.  I had to put it aside for a while and work on the next hat.

Without Directions blog
A special thank you to my husband for modeling and taking selfies of each one!


Genie from Aladdin was next and I think that one turned out quite well.  It was a good thing too because it gave me the emotional strength to keep on going.

Without Directions Blog
Ignore arm and hair behind him.

We then made King Triton from Little Mermaid.

Without Directions blog

And then was our most complicated one, Rapunzel from the movie Tangled.  I really enjoyed this one and like the music a lot.  I did not realize how good the music was until my youngest was listening to Disney radio on Pandora and I discovered that those songs really are pretty good and do not get old as fast as some of the others.

Without Directions Blog

This one is one of my daughter's favorite.  She loves the movie Lilo and Stitch.  She drew the picture of Stitch free hand and then we laminated it with packing tape.  She also drew and cut the shapes of our white leaves.

Without Directions Blog

By the time I did this last one, I totally was done fighting with the ears.  That was the main problem; our ears did not want to stand up.  So I asked my son if I could just glue the Baymax face on his hat. He was cool with that, so I was too.

I broadcast some of our progress and struggles on Periscope.  (you can follow me there if you want @MajorMoma) and I save 3 of the 4 videos.  So if you want to know our ear struggles and solutions, watch these:



I never got a picture of our Fear hat completed.  It is OK.  So if you follow on Instagram, you are sure to see it being modeled in the happiest place on earth and you can decide if it was worth the effort.




Thank you for letting me be apart of your day! Did you know I have an Etsy shop? Well I do and there I sell handmade home decor. Come on by and check it out.

                                        

1 comment:

  1. your husband modeling them = PRICELESS! These hats are fantastic, your family is going to have a great time at Disney!!!

    ReplyDelete

Like everyone, we love comments; mostly because it is not a conversation without you! So please, let us know what you think and what you are up to.

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips